Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

NEWT GINGRICH RIPS RNC FOR BLAGOJEVICH ATTACKS

I can't believe this, but I'm agreeing with Gingrich. He understands that the RNC and all those rightwing bloggers are fools for trying to tie President-elect Obama to Blagojevich's sleaze and possible law breaking.

Every time Obama tries to get away from slimey partisan attacks THE WINGERS TRY TO PULL HIM BACK IN!

Here's Gingrich on the subject:

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich sent a rather scathing letter to Mike Duncan on Tuesday, accusing the RNC chairman of engaging in "a destructive distraction" by attempting to tie Barack Obama to Rod Blagojevich. In particular, Gingrich hit the RNC for putting out a web ad that made it seem as if the President-elect was hiding a nefarious chapter of his personal history with the embattled Illinois Governor.

"The RNC should pull the ad down immediately," Gingrich writes.

I was saddened to learn that at a time of national trial, when a president-elect is preparing to take office in the midst of the worst financial crisis in over seventy years, that the Republican National Committee is engaged in the sort of negative, attack politics that the voters rejected in the 2006 and 2008 election cycles.


The recent web advertisement, "Questions Remain," is a destructive distraction. Clearly, we should insist that all taped communications regarding the Senate seat should be made public. However, that should be a matter of public policy, not an excuse for political attack.

In a time when America is facing real challenges, Republicans should be working to help the incoming President succeed in meeting them, regardless of his Party.

From now until the inaugural, Republicans should be offering to help the President-elect prepare to take office.

Furthermore, once President Obama takes office, Republicans should be eager to work with him when he is right, and, when he is wrong, offer a better solution, instead of just opposing him.

This is the only way the Republican Party will become known as the "better solutions" party, not just an opposition party. And this is the only way Republicans will ever regain the trust of the voters to return to the majority.

This ad is a terrible signal to be sending about both the goals of the Republican Party in the midst of the nation's troubled economic times and about whether we have actually learned anything from the defeats of 2006 and 2008.

You go Gingrich. I've tried to explain this to my conservative friends but they seem not to want to step away from the old politics of attack and destroy. They seem not to believe that President-elect Obama wants to end that destructive culture and bring this nation together.

Thank you Newt Gingrich and all other reasonable conservatives who understand that we will accomplish nothing if we continue down this path.



9 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

"..reasonable conservatives.."??
is that like the definition of oxymoron?

Gordon Scott said...

Actually, it would be an example of an oxymoron, BB.

But I agree with Newtie on this one. The prosecutor is in place, and he's not known to be shy about pursuing leads. The RNC really doesn't need to do anything at this point.

Dave Miller said...

I have always liked Newt, if not his policies.

The Griper said...

yup, i'm with Gordon on this one. let the tapes and investigation do the speaking first. they'll speak louder than any ad does if there is a problem.

Gordon Scott said...

I like Newt, too. But he's one of those guys who is better outside the system than in it. And just like our former presidential candidate, he jumped on the green bandwagon just at the moment when the fraud of AGW became apparent.

But even with his faults, he was better at the game than the current crop of Republican leaders. Which lets you know how bad I think they are.

Patrick M said...

I'm mixed on this one. While I suspect there is more to the Blagojevich story that has yet to be heard, the GOP would be better served in getting their collective head out of their ass and fixing the party.

There are plenty of people outside the GOP proper that will be chewing on Obama and working to find the missing link. The RNC sould be working on an agenda to fix America and attack Obama's EEEEVIL NEFARIOUS plans (couldn't help myself) based on that.

They seem not to believe that President-elect Obama wants to end that destructive culture and bring this nation together.

However, I'm sure I'll be calling BS on this soon enough. The last president to be talking crap like this was George W Bush. Want to look at how that turned out? I guess it's just more "change we can believe in".

Shaw Kenawe said...

Patrick, my friend, you're too cynical.

Obama hasn't been sworn in yet, and you're calling BS on what he hopes to do and what he's promised he would do.

I understand that other presidents promise many things and never follow through. And I understand your cynicism following 8 years of GWB's presidency.

But Obama has already set in motion his promise to "reach across the aisle." He's contacted quite a few Congressional Republicans already and has asked for their help.

This is what Ronald Reagan did when he was elected, and I'd guess you thought he was a pretty good president, no?

Reagan also had a very good, very friendly relationship with Democratic Speaker of the House, Tip O'Neil.

It can be done.

Try to hold off on trashing Obama until he, y'know, actually gets in office and does something.

That would be nice. And healthy.

Look. I've got conservatives who come here and comment, and we actually are civil with one another, and I actually LIKE them!

Do I HAVE to keep telling you how I feel about YOU, honey chunks?

*In my best whiney voice*: Can't we all just get along?

*ducks and runs out of the room before Patrick's shoe hits my head*

dmarks said...

@BB: ""..reasonable conservatives.."??
is that like the definition of oxymoron?"

Usuually it is redundant, not an oxymoron. But not in every case.

As for the post here, I am in agreement with Newt AND Shaw.

I saw Blogo's attorney on TV tonight. He is one of those lying attorneys who gives lawyers a bad name.

Patrick M said...

Obama hasn't been sworn in yet, and you're calling BS on what he hopes to do and what he's promised he would do.

Correction. I said I was sure I would be calling BS. Haven't done so yet.

But you have to admit, this does sound like an Obama line:

I don't have enemies to fight. And I have no stake in the bitter arguments of the last few years. I want to change the tone of Washington to one of civility and respect.

Of course, that was Bush, from his acceptance speech in 2000.

Thus my cynicism is warranted.

But Obama has already set in motion his promise to "reach across the aisle."

Something I've learned from GOP politics is that "reaching across the aisle" means agreeing with Democrat ideas. Look at the bastard that Obama beat.

Reagan gave up more than he should. But he passed the conservative things he wanted in the process. Bush, with GOP control of both houses of Congress, should have gotten more done. You know what happened instead, of course.

I have yet to start trashing Obama just for the sake of doing so. I'm patiently biding my time until he starts rolling out the programs, many of which will resemble Bush's (or Clinton's) third term, at which point I'll let fly.

BTW, I wouldn't throw a shoe at you. At least not until Obama gives us the right to a good shoe. I'm looking for some thing classic. Maybe a nice canvas high top. And an actual brand name instead of the cheap crap I buy.